NOTICE: The COVID19 situation changes daily. Please contact Warren to confirm if your class is still being held.
We also offer an online version of the course that includes the workbook.
Set your building
plans in motion.
Sign up for one of our courses today.
Need help applying for your Owner Builder Authorization?
This short step-by-step video has been created to help with the many inquiries we receive from individuals wanting to know how to apply to BC Housing to begin the Owner Builder Authorization process.
So you want to build your own home, but don’t know where to start?
Well, help is on the way. If you want to build your own home in the Province of British Columbia, you have to obtain an Owner Builder Authorization from the BC Housing Licensing & Consumer Services (LCS).
We believe the Owner Builder Exam Preparation Course has covered all of the recommended topics the BC Housing Licensing and Consumer Services (LCS) department has listed on their website. Based on our belief, we are prepared to stand behind you in your efforts to be able to build your own home by allowing you to attend another offering of the course in an instance where you fail the exam. There will only be a nominal cost of $60.00 to cover meals and refreshments.
As of July 4, 2016 in BC, all applicants to the BC Housing Licensing & Consumer Services (LCS) for an Owner Builder Authorization are required to meet all eligibility criteria and pass an exam to evaluate their knowledge and understanding of home building basics.
Owner Builder Training Ltd. is a group of dedicated highly skilled professionals with a combined 200 years’ experience in the construction industry. Areas of expertise range from hands on construction, building science, energy efficient home design, ventilation and heating and legal. We are a team that is dedicated to training consumers and contractors – we have been doing this since the early 1980s and now wish to pass on our skills and expertise on to you.
The “Owner Builder Authorization” course was developed and initiated because we found those who wished to write the compulsory BC Housing exam had nowhere to obtain professional instruction and information that would assist them in passing the exam and bring them one step closer to their dream – to build their own home.
The #1 Owner Builder Authorization Exam Course Is Now Available Online!
Click on the Course to View Details
Terms & Conditions / Refund Policy
November 4, 2019
1. Upon registering for a course, registrants must understand that all requests for refunds must be made only in writing via the postal system, by fax or email. No telephone requests will be accepted.
Owner Builder Training Ltd.
5405 Teskey Road
Approved refunds will be via the same method as the original payment less any fees and workbook costs/shipping that applied at the time of payment.
E-transfer is the preferred method of payment
2. If a request is received within 15 days of initial registration date, a registrant who requests a refund will receive a full refund less a $50.00 administrative fee, workbook cost/shipping (325.00) and PayPal processing fees if that was the chosen method of payment.
3. Within 14 days from the start of the one-day in-class session, no refunds will be issued; registrants will forfeit all course fees. However, if a registrant supplies documented proof of personal or family emergency (i.e., doctor’s note, death certificate, etc.) the administrator can re-register the individual for another existing class of the same title for the date and location of the registrant’s choice. A $50.00 administrative fee will apply for this service less workbook cost/delivery (325.00) and PayPal processing fees if that was the chosen method of payment.
4. Student Request before Cut-off Date: Requests by the student to re-register for another existing course of the same title before midnight of the 14-day cut-off period will be granted at no cost. However, please note that this no-cost option is limited to two (2) occurrences only, after which the student will be charged a $75.00 administrative fee per occurrence for this service.
5. No-show for Two-day In-class Session: No-shows for the two-day in-class sessions are non-refundable. However, if a registrant supplies documented proof of personal or family emergency (i.e., doctor’s note, death certificate, etc.) the administrator can re-register the individual for the appropriate one-day in-class session for the date and location of the registrant’s choice. A $75.00 administrative will apply for this service.
6. If an in-class session location and/or dates are changed due to instructor availability, low enrollment or conflict with venue dates or availability, registrants will be given at least 7 days’ notice via email. A seat will automatically be reserved for the next available session in the same region. If necessary, registrants will have the option to contact the OBT administrator and choose to be re-registered for a different date and location (for the same course) that better suits their schedule or be registered to take the online course version. If none of these options are satisfactory, a full refund, less a $125.00 for the workbook, will be issued.
We reserve the right to change the Refund Policy; any revised Refund Policy will be posted at ownerbuildertraining.com